How to Fast Track Your Diet to Increase Akkermansia
What goes into your mouth can encourage that gorgeous colony of Akkermansia – so here’s how to do that:
- Choose the right food – numero uno!! Whole, fresh, natural – nothing processed, nothing out of a bottle or bag or tin if you can help it. This includes sugar. Food as it appears in nature (your secret Akkermansia weapon)
- Exclude all sugar and carbohydrates from grains. Get your carbs from non-starchy vegetables, especially leafy greens, radishes, Jerusalem artichokes, leeks, asparagus, garlic and turmeric. The body ‘sees’ grains as sugar
- Eat fat and protein at every meal.
- Include fermented foods in your diet, they’re rich in probiotics
- Ditch the dairy for a while, except for real farm butter (dairy is defined as anything out of a cow or goat) not including eggs, as they are not out of a cow/goat
- Toss out the nasty ‘foods’ like soy, corn, peanuts, seed oils, artificial sweeteners, gluten and grains.
- Avoid alcohol and coffee – at least for a while – Akkermansia is fussy that way. Add your coffee back in later, but ensure it’s organic or you defeat the object
- Akkermansia loves fatty seafood like salmon, sardines, mackerel and clams
- Take a good high-quality probiotic not only for Akkermansia growth but for the health of your urogenital tract, respiratory tract and entire ecosystem.
- Consider taking Glutamine – an excellent way to rebuild and maintain digestive health and support digestion – a good friend to Ak
- Support your stomach acid if you have too little – either HCL, lemon water or a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water before each meal to see if your symptoms improve (do NOT ever try to ‘go alkaline’)
- Consider taking Cranverry – it encourages Akkermansia
- Exercise but take care not to overdo it.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep has the power to change gut flora. Just two nights of sleep deprivation can lead to a dramatic drop-off in healthy bacteria – including Akkermansia.
- Relax and de-stress! Your gut is known as your ‘second brain’ and can take on the stress of everyday life very quickly – throwing your microbiome out of balance, which may make you feel depressed, anxious or tired, create memory problems or brain fog.
Getting your microbiome back into balance will almost certainly help you lose weight – no more pounding the tar daily in an effort to shed a few kilos. (And by the way, exercise tones the body, it doesn’t lead to weight loss.)
Fibre is a vital key to promoting weight loss, but it has to be the right fibre, not brans or cereals. Fibre is critical to good health because it is food for your intestinal flora. When you deprive yourself of fibre on a regular basis (think of people who live constantly on refined food) your gut microbes behave erratically. They can ‘turn’ on you and start to eat the mucus lining of your intestine as it’s also a carbohydrate source. If they are starved of fibre, they have no choice. Fibre is a carbohydrate which the beneficial flora eat – it does not count as a carbohydrate in our diets and is not digested. It’s food for your healthy bacteria and Akkermansia.
Akkermansia Growth Programme
If you want to use supplements to help you increase Ak, the ones you’ll need (and find in the online store) include:
Click on each below for more info:
You can simply click on the name of each product mentioned above (in bold) and a hyperlink will take you directly to the product for an easy purchase.
Originally published on https://www.facebook.com/SallyAnnCreedSA/ in 2020.