It is a crippling, relentless condition which often leads to immobility, horrible drugs, and frequently due to falls and their complications in the elderly – death. Your bones start to lose density at the age of 25 when they have reached their peak, so keeping your bones strong throughout your life is very important.
DO YOU HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS?
Sometimes you don’t know till you break something, but there are some warning signs:
- Fractures in the hip, spine or wrist are most common, but any bone fracture
- Limited mobility, trouble getting around
- Bone pain (sometimes intense)
- Loss of height
- Hunched or stooped posture
- Depression is a feature of osteoporosis
- 20% of seniors who break a hip die within a year
SOME FACTORS LEADING TO OSTEOPOROSIS
- Poor diet
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Autoimmune diseases (RA especially)
- Pulmonary, kidney or liver diseases
- Long-term medication use
- Use of proton-pump inhibitors
- Anti-seizure medications and steroids (cortisone) use
- Low vitamin D levels
- Low vitamin K2 intake
- Severe weight loss
- Cancer/diabetes/thyroid problems/IBS
OSTEOPOROSIS TREATMENTS AND DIET
By building muscle and bone density, you can reverse osteoporosis, and live a long, healthy life, but clearly you have to start now. Improvement can begin to show in as little as 12 weeks. Conventional treatment involves drugs which mask the problem and cause others. Instead by supporting the body, you will both prevent and if need be, reverse this crippling condition.
- Healthy diet – eat enough PROTEIN. This is KEY to prevention. A high protein diet powerfully prevents osteoporosis, not what the scaremongers would have you believe. 50% of your bone is made of protein – eat grass-fed meat, wild-caught fish, pastured eggs and poultry and cheese.
- Exercise is beneficial for osteoporosis and improves flexibility – stretching is good too
- Take K2C2D3 daily – D3 improves uptake of calcium from diet, K2 takes it to the bones. Get it here
- Supplements such as D3 & K2 help, but so does Magnesium Citrate (about 400-500mg/day) – it is important for building bones (I recommend this one )
- Omega-3 from Fish Oil (not flax) has been shown to build bone (take 3 of these a day see here) – also a powerful anti-inflammatory
- Pure Hydrolysed Collagen is probably the most powerful thing you can do – it has been shown to dramatically improve bone in just 12 weeks! (this is the best one in the country – grass-fed, non-GMO, 100% pure). Believe it or not, this is probably the most important thing you can do to build bone mass – I have seen it improve in literally hundreds of people of all ages
- Natural progesterone cream applied to the skin has been shown to increase bone density owing to the effect the hormone has in stimulating the bone building cells in bones. These cells are activated by progesterone from the ovaries in pre-menopausal women but once the ovaries stop making progesterone each month this bone maintenance effect is removed. See my Progesterone Blog for information on the use of natural progesterone cream.
THINGS THAT CAN WORSEN OSTEOPOROSIS
- Sorry… but excess alcohol will by increasing the inflammatory response and removing salts from the bones. Limit intake
- Sugar does the same thing – leaches the precious salts from the bones and is highly inflammatory – inflammation is a death knell to bone
- Excess caffeine can deplete bone mass (excess, not regulated intake)
- Smoking depletes bone density
THE CRITICAL ROLE OF COLLAGEN IN BONE DENSITY
When bones are deficient in collagen, their frame is not strong enough for calcification to occur, so taking calcium simply doesn’t work. Clinical work shows that hydrolyzed collagen is so integral to bone health it dramatically improves bone density very quickly. Bone broth does not aid the bones specifically because it contains calcium, as many erroneously think – neither bone stock nor collagen obtained from land animal sources are ample sources of calcium!! So it’s not the calcium that is doing it – it’s the unique nature of the amino acid makeup which is responsible for bone-building, we don’t need any extra calcium.
Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen is more important than any other protein for joint and bone health as it contains THREE times more of the amino acids glycine and proline. It is specifically these two amino acids that are not only responsible for the super strong three dimensional conformation of collagen, but also the ones that support the stability of collagen structures in cartilage. In vitro studies show that adding hydrolyzed collagen to a culture medium of chondrocytes (healthy cartilage cells), significantly provides a dose dependent increase in collagen type II synthesis. Taking Pure Hydrolysed Collagen (type I & III) will result in the stimulation of type II collagen – it’s a win-win for your bones, cartilage and purse.
ARTHRITIS AND RHEUMATIC PAIN
Because collagen makes up 90% of organic bone mass, by taking just 10g a day (1 tablespoon) of Pure Hydrolysed Collagen, within 4-24 weeks (according to studies), your bone density appears to increase dramatically! Pure Hydrolysed Collagen is the most marvellous antidote to osteoporosis and osteopaenia as shown in both clinical and experimental studies. The reason Pure Hydrolysed Collagen is so effective for those with arthritis and rheumatic pain is that it is also a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent. Sometimes older people suffer from arthritis and rheumatic pain in the hips, but by taking1-2 tablespoons of Pure Hydrolysed Collagen regularly, pain will be a thing of the past.
IN A NUTSHELL:
In all there is GOOD news when it comes to building bone mass:
- Take D3&K2
- Take 2 tablespoons of my Pure Hydrolysed Collagen daily
- Eat a higher protein diet
- Eat a healthy diet and do some form of exercise
You may get all these products from my shop – and have them couriered to your door.