There is so much confusion today about fat but what we do know is fat is not the enemy.
Here are some GOOD fats you can use for different cooking methods:
SAUTEING AND COOKING
Use heat-stable, saturated fats – animal fats which do not oxidise or get damaged by heat. Plant oils should be avoided except for coconut oil – it also will not oxidise. Use pasture-fed, hormone-free animal products.
• Butter (pasture-fed if possible)
• Coconut oil (VIRGIN, in GLASS and ORGANIC – all important)
• Lard (rendered from pork fat, NOT supermarket lard – it’s vegetable oil!)
• Tallow/suet – from pasture-fed beef
• Duck/goose fat
• Bacon grease (preferably from nitrate-free bacon, pasture reared)
Never never n.e.v.e.r. use vegetable oils for anything – they have no place in your home or your body.
• Coconut oil
UNHEATED (salad dressings, drizzling, supplements)
• Extra virgin olive oil, organic if possible
• Avocado oil, extra virgin, organic
• Fish oil capsules (as those found in my online store under fish oil at sallyanncreed.co.za – very good for the body)
A word on Olive Oil: always get the best you can afford and always only extra virgin. You can heat olive oil, but make sure it does not get too hot – smoking etc. It’s fine to heat though. Get the BEST extra virgin olive oil don’t settle for anything less.
FATS AND OILS TO AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Vegetable oils, polyunsaturated oils and those high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids (always damaged or easily oxidised) – they are linked to a HOST of diseases. They are heat processed with a variety of solvents. They are oxidised and toxic to the body – no matter how cleverly they are marketed!
• Butter substitutes
• Cottonseed oil
• Corn oil
• Canola oil
• Grapeseed oil
• Peanut oil
• Soybean oil
• Safflower oil
• Sunflower oil
• Flaxseed oil (too high in phytoestrogens the body cannot convert – still a seed oil!)
• Hemp oil (very high in inflammatory omega 6 – and still a seed oil)
• Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil of any kind
Oil your body well and you’ll feel fabulous, look better and be so much healthier!
You can simply click on the name of each product mentioned above (in bold) and a hyperlink will take you directly to the product for an easy purchase.
Originally published on https://www.facebook.com/SallyAnnCreedSA/ in 2020.