Of course the best way to do this is either abstinence or avoid overdoing alcohol, but if you are not going to ‘listen’ to this ‘wise advice’J, then here are a few tips on how to avoid a hangover getting you “the day after the night before”.
- BEFORE you go out, drink a litre of water to avoid dehydration – it’s what is responsible for many hangover symptoms, including headaches, lethargy and the horrible feeling of midnight dry mouth.
- EAT protein and fat BEFORE you have anything whatsoever to drink. That’s why nuts are often provided, to slow down the effect of alcohol. Never drink on an empty stomach if you want to avoid a hangover.
- MIX spirits with tomato juice and eat some raw (NOT salted) nuts if there’s no food around.
- Avoid FIZZY mixers, as the carbon dioxide speeds up the absorption of alcohol
- Naturally avoid MIXING your drinks, stick to one or the other
- Eat BITTER foods such as lemon and lime which help increase liver enzymes which make the body more resilient.
- Take Milk Thistle capsules daily to support your LIVER and reduce alcohol damage
- As an aside, getting a headache, red face, sinus or blocked nose when you drink, means you are intolerant to alcohol. Just saying…..
- When you drink alcohol the body is unable to absorb fats especially Omega-3 fatty acids which help decrease the alcohol related feeling of depression and anxiety and they are closely linked to levels of serotonin in the brain. Make sure you daily take 3g of high-quality FISH oil (not flaxseed oil).
- Alcohol severely depletes the B-vitamins which can contribute to mood swings and depression. Make a point of taking a B-complex supplement the night before and again the next day – in fact a daily B Complex is a great idea anyway.
- All alcohol has an effect on blood sugar levels causing them to rise very quickly and then fall. This will affect energy levels, and may cause mood changes such as aggression. Take Glucochrom to supply quickly-depleted chromium stores which cause dysregulated blood sugar levels.
- Milk Thistle helps to prevent damage and protects the liver.
- Glutamine is an excellent pre-party nutrient – it will rid of you of the desire for sweet things as well as for too much alcohol (it might even get you drinking sparkling water instead!) – take 1-2 teaspoons before leaving home in a little water.
All the above nutrients are available in my online store at www.sallyanncreed.co.za/shop