1. If you find steamed vegetables too plain or have a fussy eater in the house, try giving them some extra zing. Here are a few ideas to make them more interesting:
2. Fresh herbs – toss whole sprigs of fresh herbs, like parsley, thyme, or dill, over the steaming vegetables, or chop up the leaves and sprinkle them over the vegetables after they’re cooked. Choose your favourite herbs – my favourite are lemon thyme, basil, rosemary and parsley – but it depends on what’s in your herb garden at the time.
3. Garlic – Add sliced or chopped garlic to any vegetable, especially leafy greens like kale really benefit from this extra taste sensation. You can also sauté garlic with olive oil and toss it with vegetables after they’re steamed. They say you can never have enough garlic – I couldn’t agree more.
4. Ginger – Place thinly sliced ginger at the bottom of the steaming basket and cover with butternut squash or other root vegetables. As you did with the garlic, sauté the fresh ginger in olive oil first before tossing with steamed vegetables.
5. Lemon – Add a few slices of lemon or lemon zest to vegetables like broccoli, green beans, and squash. You can also add lemon juice to the steaming water.
6. Sauce – Make a wonderful avo dressing – sooo delicious – and pour it over the veggies.
7. Butter – Can anything be more tasty than veggies with melted butter poured over them?
8. Bacon – Sprinkle some crispy bacon over the veg and pour some of the bacon fat over too – who can resist that?
9. Try toasting some seeds or nuts and sprinkle over the veggies. There, now you have no excuse not to eat your steamed veg.