This quick post is long overdue. I know this because I get the same question asked of me every single day. With the new interest in collagen and the dramatic testimonies coming from even just a very short time of using my Pure Hydrolysed Collagen or Gelatine, I’ll tell you how to take it.
Collagen is the primary protein in connective tissue, skin and bones and my brand is collagen type 1 from beef -as found in my brand of Pure Hydrolysed Collagen on my website. Many collagens are from pork or fish (also type 1) but I have concerns around these two sources so have chosen to stick with grass-fed beef. Collagen type 1 is the protein which is most abundant in your body, more than any other type – making up 35% of the entire body protein content. Type 1 also stimulates the production of type 2 so if you cannot afford the chicken collagen coming out next month – you are covered! Shortage of collagen as you age will cause a number of problems, usually associated with:
- ageing – causing sagging skin and wrinkles
- a lack of elasticity of the skin itself and stiffness
- thinning hair and/or hair loss and thinning of the thickness of each hair
- decreased joint mobility – pain and stiffness in joints and spine
- osteoporosis; bone pain
- paper-thin nails and many other conditions
- Usually starts to decline by age 25 – so it’s never too soon to start.
If you are strapped for cash (who isn’t today!?) you can use my excellent brand of Gelatine, which is very similar to collagen, but gels (collagen cannot gel). You will get very similar results, but I just don’t like the sliminess in coffee – however you can add it to food – it’s also tasteless.
How to take Gelatine and Collagen:
- Dissolve a tablespoon or two of Gelatine in hot water, and add to food or beverages.
- To take Pure Hydrolysed Collagen, you can take 1-2 tablespoons in coffee (as I do) or add it to any food or drink, hot or cold. It mixes immediately and has no taste at all. Mix into yogurt, coffee, soft drinks and any food – the temperature doesn’t matter at all – it won’t change the collagen.
- And you CAN take both, whether together or at different times of the day. We put collagen in coffee and gelatine in food! Both are lovely in smoothies, porridge, stews, sauces, salad dressings etc. Very versatile!