I get asked this almost every day, so I hope this helps someone.
If you are hesitant in pregnancy regarding anything at all, please chat to your doctor.
However, taking a pure collagen supplement is no different to consuming several bowls of bone broth a day.
This is often indicated in pregnancy and practiced by many people groups around the world and has been for thousands of years. Pure collagen is a wonderful adjunct to pregnancy. Please note here I say PURE – if the collagen has got ANYTHING added to it whatsoever, my advice is NOT to take it in pregnancy.
There are many chemicals added to some collagens, please please protect your baby from them.
Also, do NOT take marine collagen or fish collagen in pregnancy – it may result in you or your baby developing severe and even life-threatening fish allergies. My strong recommendation is the bovine collagen (like my Pure Hydrolysed Collagen, grass fed)
as this is the most abundant in the body and in my opinion the safest. I would be nervous of pork and marine collagen at this time.
In pregnancy and breast feeding, collagen may help with the following:
• Prevent or remove stretch marks in pregnancy. Skin will retain its elasticity while also helping to repair skin and also to help new skin cells to form.
• Pure collagen powder is one of the best ways to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy and also to help your body and skin to recover postpartum
• It keeps your skin ‘elastic’ so it will bounce back after birth
• Very often general discomfort and aches and pains can be greatly helped by collagen at this time
• Aches and pains happen in pregnancy because your body produces relaxin which helps your joints to relax while giving birth. This weakens joints and they are more prone to injury. You might also have various aches and pains that just get worse as the weight of your baby increases. Collagen will strengthen your joints, helping to alleviate aches and pains, while also protecting your joints against injury.
• Cleanses toxins from the body, supports liver function
• Relieves joint and muscle pain
• Prevents hair loss in pregnancy and keeps nails strong
• Helps mood swings, increases concentration
• Helps with constipation
• Can prevent skin discolouration in pregnancy
• Collagen not only assists in building new bone but it also helps to strengthen bone
• Low energy levels are common in pregnancy and breastfeeding. Collagen provides extra energy for childbirth, and it will provide healthy breast milk for your baby afterwards.
• Collagen can help the body repair itself after the baby is born, keep your metabolism high and boost energy levels.
• Digestion is often a problem in pregnancy, and this is another benefit of taking collagen for its gut-healing properties. It helps to draw water into the intestines to help move the food along, another reason it helps with constipation as well
• Pregnancy puts strain on your liver. The glycine in collagen help the breakdown and excretion of toxic substances by the liver.
Warning: be careful of FISH or MARINE collagens when pregnant – and be careful not to eat shellfish in pregnancy. Don’t take collagen in tomato, grape or apple juice as it can weaken the strength of the collagen.
Please always check everything with your doctor, concerning anything and everything you take during pregnancy. This post is for information only and not meant to treat or be used as medical advice.
My Pure Hydrolysed Collagen
is 100% bovine collagen with nothing added, and you can get it from the SHOP button at sallyanncreed.co.za.
You can simply click on the name of each product mentioned above (in bold) and a hyperlink will take you directly to the product for an easy purchase.
Originally published on https://www.facebook.com/SallyAnnCreedSA/ in 2020.