Hydrolysed collagen and gelatine are similar, but not the same thing. In the hydrolysed form, collagen has been produced from gelatine where the proteins have been broken up into smaller ‘pieces’ making collagen way easier to absorb. They both have the same amino acids, but different ‘chemical’ properties and applications. Collagen is also more palatable in just about anything, but gelatine will also give you results if you can take it regularly.
Hydrolysed Collagen vs Gelatine
I repeat, they are similar, but not the same. They look and taste different, plus they have different applications in preparation, cooking and how to take them, and gelatine is cheaper. People seldom eat skin and tendons raw; they cook them if they eat them at all. By cooking collagen, it becomes gelatine – so gelatine then is the cooked form of collagen. It’s a way of getting all the beneficial amino acids in the collagen without having to sit down to a delicious plate of raw tendons for dinner…. By further breaking down amino acids into a very bio-available and easy-to-digest form, you end up with Hydrolysed Collagen or Collagen Hydrolysate, which is what my brand of Pure Hydrolysed Collagen is. It is eminently more palatable than gelatine and tasteless – first prize of course is to use them both daily in cooking, yogurt, smoothies or coffee.
Important for hair, skin and bones from wrinkles to osteoporosis, there is a lot these very impressive foods can achieve in a short while and both have gut healing properties which are extremely important from a health perspective. There is much evidence now to show that:
- Supplemental hydrolysed collagen will help improve skin elasticity, reduce roughness and skin ageing (wrinkles)
- Hydrolysed collagen improves arthritis pain and greatly benefits joint and bone health
- Collagen hugely improves the chance of rebuilding cartilage in the joints and reducing or totally eliminating pain
- Collagen can normalise gut hormones in obese people, helping weight loss quite noticeably
- Collagen & gelatine both help to heal Leaky Gut Syndrome or Intestinal Permeability as it’s also known, restoring a normal mucosal layer in the gut
By far the nicest way to get your collagen it is to put my brand of grass-fed, Pure Hydrolysed Collagen into your coffee or food. I love the creaminess it gives to my coffee in the morning, so I always put mine in coffee. But I also strongly recommend putting gelatine into hot food and sauces, and making sugar-free jellies and gummies out of it. This way you get the best of both worlds. Find my brand of both gelatine and pure hydrolysed collagen in my online store at sallyanncreed.co.za and click ‘shop’.