CLASSIC CHICKEN LIVER PATE
(French Style CHICKEN LIVER PATE- what else?)
Serves 6-8 (or 4 greedy ones!)
Cooking time about 10 minutes, but add 20 minutes prep
What you’ll need
- 400g organic chicken liver
- 300g grass-fed butter, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp brandy
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg or organic nutmeg powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g butter, for topping
What you do with this:
- Trim the chicken livers of any stringy sinews, then rinse them and gently pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Melt 30g of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the livers and thyme, and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes, or until the livers are coloured on the outside but pink in the centre. Pour in the brandy, cook for an extra 10 seconds, then add the remaining butter and nutmeg to the pan.
- Set aside for a few minutes for the butter to soften, then puree the mixture in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon the pâté into a 750ml capacity terrine dish and chill. Melt the extra butter and pour a little over the pâté. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before eating. Remove about 20 minutes prior to serving to soften slightly so the flavours come through.
- Serve with our Big Big Banting Loaf or Seed Crackers https://sallyanncreed.co.za/shop
You can simply click on the name of each product mentioned above (in bold) and a hyperlink will take you directly to the product for an easy purchase.
Originally published on https://www.facebook.com/SallyAnnCreedSA/ in 2020.